Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Behind the Box---September

3 posters

Go down

Behind the Box---September Empty Behind the Box---September

Post by Admin Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:11 am

So I want to start off by saying that September's Monster Mayhem box was one that we were looking forward to for a while, the only issue was finding the books to fit the theme (which is why the themes hold us back).

Lets start with The Wicked. ---So this book came out a while ago, it wasn't a huge release but it garnered some great reviews. When I found out that it was being re-released by James Newman newly edited, and rewritten with parts added we had to get on it. There's no way we weren't going to use it once we got our hands on it! Those creepy monsters/demon spawn...
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://thenocturnalreadersbox.com

Back to top Go down

Behind the Box---September Empty Re: Behind the Box---September

Post by Ka of 17 Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Ok, I guess I'm the outcast this time...I really disliked The Wicked. I wanted to like this one- I really did. I love 80’s pulp horror, & embrace the gore & humor of such paperbacks. However, I found it difficult to get into, & the first few chapters nearly killed it for me. I mean, the crazed black junkie jumps out of a dark alley & rapes the good Christian white woman? Please. That odd racism is only echoed in the birth scene, where David is sooo relieved that his baby’s “perfect”- meaning white.

Although the story picked up with the introduction of Moloch, I found myself bored by the family scenes, & just really didn’t care what happened to anyone, except maybe George. Everyone else felt flat, & the dialogue read as stilted and forced. Even the horror wasn’t very horrific, & overall I was left wanting. This particular novel read like a bad Bentley Little book, minus the fun & thrill of his demons. Unfortunately, this wasn’t worth my time.

I'm glad to hear other subscribers enjoyed it though! Just wasn't the book for me.
Ka of 17
Ka of 17

Back to top Go down

Post by salingercrumbs Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Ka of 17 wrote:Ok, I guess I'm the outcast this time...I really disliked The Wicked. I wanted to like this one- I really did. I love 80’s pulp horror, & embrace the gore & humor of such paperbacks. However, I found it difficult to get into, & the first few chapters nearly killed it for me. I mean, the crazed black junkie jumps out of a dark alley & rapes the good Christian white woman? Please. That odd racism is only echoed in the birth scene, where David is sooo relieved that his baby’s “perfect”- meaning white.

Although the story picked up with the introduction of Moloch, I found myself bored by the family scenes, & just really didn’t care what happened to anyone, except maybe George. Everyone else felt flat, & the dialogue read as stilted and forced. Even the horror wasn’t very horrific, & overall I was left wanting. This particular novel read like a bad Bentley Little book, minus the fun & thrill of his demons. Unfortunately, this wasn’t worth my time.

I'm glad to hear other subscribers enjoyed it though! Just wasn't the book for me.

You are not alone in your dislike; I couldn't agree with your review more!
salingercrumbs
salingercrumbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down