Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapters 1-15

4 posters

Go down

Chapters 1-15 Empty Chapters 1-15

Post by noissesbokoob Sat May 12, 2018 10:20 am

So far I am really enjoying this book! I am so excited that NRB is doing this. I've never read Dan Simmons, but have discovered what an amazing author he is. I'm definitely putting his other books on my reading list. There are a lot of parallels with Stephen King's IT as others have mentioned. However, I tend to like a slow buildup to my horror. That to me is the most chilling and King's IT didn't necessarily have that. My favorite parts are the ones between Mike and Memo. When he was fending off Death with his bat the same way his grandmother saved him from the dog with her broom, it was terrifying, brilliantly written, and beautiful all at the same time. I love their relationship. I helped take care of my grandmother around the same age and this reminds me of that. The author also mentioned that one of the main characters dies in his Introduction and I'm just hoping that it isn't Duane or Mike because they are my favorites! Once again, loving this book. Good choice!

noissesbokoob

Back to top Go down

Chapters 1-15 Empty Re: Chapters 1-15

Post by skeltalkween94 Sun May 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello!

The parallels between Memo and Mike protecting each other were indeed beautiful. Simmons is a master of developing the setting. Such gorgeous prose and descriptions. The brief scene in which Duane is SPOILER sitting at Witt's grave and he can "taste" the smoke in the air was great. Locals burn the blueberry barrens where I live this time of year so I knew almost exactly what Simmons was describing.

Most of the characters have distinct features, like Cordie's outfit, with her toe sticking out of her old sneakers, Archie's glass eye, Lawrence's small frame and glasses - all so unique.

What edition do you have? I'd be curious to read that introduction.
skeltalkween94
skeltalkween94

Back to top Go down

Post by noissesbokoob Sun May 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Yes, I agree with you. The characters are written so vividly and with such detail that it is like I am right there with them. The Introduction of my book is also great because Dan Simmons discusses other things he has written with the same characters that update you on their lives in adulthood. I could probably look back at that Introduction, read who he mentioned lives on in other works, and figure out who dies. I just don't want to ruin it. I'll read it again when I'm done with the book. My version was printed in July 2011 (St. Martins Griffin edition). It has a picture of a tree with a hazy sun behind it. it has a quote from Stephen King on the cover calling Simmons a "hot-rodding angel."

noissesbokoob

Back to top Go down

Post by onetrackmind77 Mon May 14, 2018 12:39 pm

I read Boy's Life by Robert R McCammon earlier this year, and I loved that book full of coming of age adventures and mystery, so with that same basic premise, I was really looking forward to Summer of Night.  It has not disappointed!  How can you not love Duane...or the relationship between Dale and his brother Lawrence?  I'm continually amazed by how dangerous the environment is for these kids.  Dirt clod/rock fights, jumping off ledges into the water, climbing up the outside wall of the school, guns, bullies, and getting chased down by the rendering truck.  God damn!  It sure makes for a thrilling ride so far!
onetrackmind77
onetrackmind77

http://recordnerdyo.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Everything's Eventual Tue May 15, 2018 2:58 am

I too loved Memo and Mikes relationship. I really enjoy Cordie although she has had minimal parts thus far. It would be interesting to see her in adult hood. Definitely liking the air of suspense and the pace of the story.

Initially I struggled with identifying which boy was which at the very start but they have all been developed so well I was able to pick it up quickly enough. I wish my childhood was as carefree as theirs in some parts, staying out late, running through woods.

Very curious as to how the soldier fits in. Although now that I'm past Chapter 15 I have a suspicion.

What questions is everyone wanting answered?

Everything's Eventual

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum