Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stephen King's "IT" remake

+13
andirodrigo
Maenad Marti
Kelso
Jude Scott
FeliFirefly
Captkirky
Ka of 17
Myweereads
RebaLena2
phunkypuhnk
jessguerrero89
scarylibrary
Johndeitzel
17 posters

Go down

Stephen King's "IT" remake Empty Stephen King's "IT" remake

Post by Johndeitzel Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:29 am

I wanted to see what people thought about the fa t that the movie "It" is being completely redome after all of these years. With so many advances in technology, a new target and generation of readers and fans, main focuses within the portrated story and how it may set the trend for more remakes of King's screen adaptations. Open discussion.

Johndeitzel

Back to top Go down

Stephen King's "IT" remake Empty Re: Stephen King's "IT" remake

Post by scarylibrary Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:48 am

I'm definitely interested in catching the new IT movie. Here's the thing about me, I don't watch horror movie trailers. I go to great lengths to avoid commercials and spoilers (including run times). I've found that I am just so much more immersed and engaged when I go into a movie with as little information as possible. That being said, sometimes you can't avoid some spoilers. With the remake, I think the time is right (the every 27 years timing is impeccable). I hope people try and view this version on its own rather than comparing it to the first (although that is natural and inevitable). The original movie was a TV mini series airing on ABC so with this remake being rated R, there are already a lot of issues with trying to compare them. That being said, I am looking forward to it! If I do catch it in theaters, it will be several weeks from now because I hate opening week crowds, especially for horror films.
scarylibrary
scarylibrary

Back to top Go down

Post by jessguerrero89 Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:00 am

I for one am sooo excited for the remake! Tbh, Tim Curry wasn't all that scary to me. But, in all fairness, I did watch it as an adult and I've never been scared of clowns. Bill Skarsgård on the other hand looks terrifying. It may be because he doesn't have that typical 80s/90s clown getup. He's more of a turn of the century/war era type clown and that time period seems to make everything that much more eerie to me. I'm really looking forward to the movie next week, I honestly hope it meets my expectations!
jessguerrero89
jessguerrero89

Back to top Go down

Stephen King's "IT" remake Empty IT Remake

Post by phunkypuhnk Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:58 am

I have been excited for this movie since I first heard the rumors years ago!

I'm looking forward to having a real horror movie made from the source material. The miniseries was good for the time and place and what it was. I think it did a fair job at a more or less faithful adaptation of the novel but I've never felt it truly captured the real horror of IT. Even though the clown looks scarier than the original, I'm not thrilled about the costume design because it does deviate from the book.

For me, the horror of the clown form wasn't that it was a clown but that it was a perfectly normal clown in places where a clown should absolutely not be and saying things that clowns should not be saying. At the same time, the costume change gets the typical horror villain look perfect, so I have high hopes for the rest of the movie.

It will be great if modern special effects can truly capture all the creepy moments of the book/original movie.

I hope too that they can also depict the passage of time, the characters as both children and adults, which I haven't quite seen in the previews, in the regular run time of a full-length movie without feeling rushed or leaving out pivotal or favorite parts of the book.

I may be putting too much on this movie but I think that's what happens when you wait so long for a movie to come out. I'm def seeing this as soon as humanly possible. <3

phunkypuhnk

Back to top Go down

Post by RebaLena2 Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:22 am

I am very excited for this remake! I've read so much online about how Bill as well as the director are trying to stay faithful to the book. And Bill has done so much creepy stuff to create his own version of Pennywise to scare the crap out of everyone and not just be a clown. The fact that it's being split gives me hope too, this way they aren't cramming everything into one movie they have more time for the characters and environments.

RebaLena2

Back to top Go down

Post by Myweereads Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:13 pm

I was feeling a bit anxious at first when i realised the movie was being made as remakes in the past have not lived up to my expectations of the original adaptions.  Since I've looked at the trailers and read further into the type of move IT has been made to be i am more excited about going to see it.  It is said to be more than just a horror movie.  I like that element and i have heard it is very frightening.  Unfortunately for me i hardly ever get scared as I've watched horror movies from a very young age but i appreciate great horror so i hope the movie lives up to this expectation and isn't just full of a thousand jump scares.  I hope i won't be disappointed but that remains to be seen when its out this friday and i get to see it so for me its a case of fingers crossed Very Happy
Myweereads
Myweereads

Back to top Go down

Post by Ka of 17 Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:22 pm

I am so excited. IT was my 1st King novel...I was 10. Then I watched the miniseries and it took me a long time to be comfortable being alone in bathrooms. I think the trailers look amazing, and I can't wait to see what's they bring to the screen.

One note-this movie is only going to be the childhood cycle. If it's successful, they'll do a sequel of the adult cycle. In one way I'm glad, as that means they can focus on details in each half that might otherwise be left out. However, a lot of the power in the novel comes from the interplay between past and present, so in wondering how removing that will affect the story.
Ka of 17
Ka of 17

Back to top Go down

Stephen King's "IT" remake Empty Re: IT remake

Post by Katrina Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:12 pm

I cannot wait for the remake! I recently rewatched the miniseries, and though I still love it, I don't think it has held up throughout the years. I'm really looking forward to a fresh take on what is one of King's best novels! I'm just wondering how much they'll be able to fit in the movie. The book is huge; there are so many little things that even the lengthy miniseries couldn't fit in, I'm really hoping that the movie tried to incorporate as much of the novel as possible. I don't imagine they'll keep the kid orgy in, but that might be one scene that is better left in print anyway!

Katrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Captkirky Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:43 pm

I read It when I was around 22, 23 years old and I LOVED IT. So when I heard there was a made for TV movie with my dude Tim Curry, I was all about It. All my friends said It was terrifying...

It was not, (mind you they all saw It when they were much younger, 10 or younger.) I was so disappointed.

Anyhoo, I knew, KNEW they were gonna remake It and now here we are. I am so beyond excited its not even funny. Im going to see It this Friday, (opening night,) for sure. Ive done my best to not read up too much on It because I want to be surprised but I hope they stick as much to the book as possible.
Captkirky
Captkirky

Back to top Go down

Post by jessguerrero89 Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:35 pm

Ka of 17 wrote:I am so excited. IT was my 1st King novel...I was 10. Then I watched the miniseries and it took me a long time to be comfortable being alone in bathrooms. I think the trailers look amazing, and I can't wait to see what's they bring to the screen.

One note-this movie is only going to be the childhood cycle. If it's successful, they'll do a sequel of the adult cycle. In one way I'm glad, as that means they can focus on details in each half that might otherwise be left out. However, a lot of the power in the novel comes from the interplay between past and present, so in wondering how removing that will affect the story.
That's a good point. The book and the miniseries both switch back and forth between the timelines so it will be interesting to get the two stories separately.
jessguerrero89
jessguerrero89

Back to top Go down

Post by jessguerrero89 Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:39 pm

Katrina wrote:I cannot wait for the remake! I recently rewatched the miniseries, and though I still love it, I don't think it has held up throughout the years. I'm really looking forward to a fresh take on what is one of King's best novels! I'm just wondering how much they'll be able to fit in the movie. The book is huge; there are so many little things that even the lengthy miniseries couldn't fit in, I'm really hoping that the movie tried to incorporate as much of the novel as possible. I don't imagine they'll keep the kid orgy in, but that might be one scene that is better left in print anyway!
I've been worried about them including that scene. The director has been so adamant about staying true to the book but hopefully he left that scene out lol
jessguerrero89
jessguerrero89

Back to top Go down

Post by FeliFirefly Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:19 am

scarylibrary wrote:I don't watch horror movie trailers. I go to great lengths to avoid commercials and spoilers (including run times). I've found that I am just so much more immersed and engaged when I go into a movie with as little information as possible.

It's the same with me. But as I was watching Annabell 2 last week in theatres they showed an introduction by Stephen King himself and the entire first scene from the movie! clown It was great, but I really hadn't a chance to escape this and I really WANT to see this movie know. Unfortunatelly I have to wait a few weeks since the preview is just on the 27th here.. Crying or Very sad So guess I just have to avoid this thread for a while silent

FeliFirefly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jude Scott Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:23 am

So excited for the new movie! It's a great story, and we're going from a made for TV miniseries to an R rated theater film, and I couldn't be happier.

Jude Scott

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelso Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 am

Clowns terrify me. Anything can be under that costume and make up.
I am looking forward to the movie, but really disliked their promotion of it and how out of hand it got with copycats

Kelso

Back to top Go down

Post by Katt Dee Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:58 am

I am super stoked about it. I hope they can put so much more of the essence of the actual book in this movie. While the previous IT, was creepy to me, if you have read the book, you know this movie should be rated R!!! I hope the do not shy away from the vulgarity, and deaths. Why? I am not one of those people that enjoy seeing people die in horror movies, but it is those moments in the story that make you scared for them. What will happen? Will they survive. I also hope there is more character development of the the characters the mini series just breezed over. So stoked!!
Katt Dee
Katt Dee

Back to top Go down

Post by Maenad Marti Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:01 pm

I cannot wait to see IT this weekend. I re-read the book and re-watched the miniseries in preparation, and there were so many beautifully terrifying bits I didn't remember from my teenage years. While I think the miniseries was decent and will definitely be missing Tim Curry, I have high hopes for this movie scaring me with both the visuals and plot. Fingers crossed!
Maenad Marti
Maenad Marti

Back to top Go down

Post by andirodrigo Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:36 pm

I am a Film Booker so I have actually already seen the exhibitors screening of the film.  I legally cannot say much about it, but I do want to assure all of you excited people, that this is by far the BEST Stephen King, book to film adaptation ever.  The acting is great, the kids all do a really good job, Pennywise is so much cooler "scarier" than in the TV series, because of what we can do with special effects now.  I was so pleased with the film and am dying to see it again.  I believe it will do very well at the box office, so I'm pretty sure we'll get to see the planned sequel.  I hope everyone enjoys the film and continues to support our theatres!
andirodrigo
andirodrigo

Back to top Go down

Post by Katt Dee Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:49 pm

I have loved all the things I have seen so far. The previews have my expectations high!! I hope I do not over hype it though.
Katt Dee
Katt Dee

Back to top Go down

Stephen King's "IT" remake Empty When I was younger, I did love the mini series. I think i love parts of it so much. Compared to the book however, I am so excited to see more of it in this adaptation.

Post by Katt Dee Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:54 pm

Captkirky wrote:I read It when I was around 22, 23 years old and I LOVED IT. So when I heard there was a made for TV movie with my dude Tim Curry, I was all about It. All my friends said It was terrifying...

It was not, (mind you they all saw It when they were much younger, 10 or younger.) I was so disappointed.

Anyhoo, I knew, KNEW they were gonna remake It and now here we are. I am so beyond excited its not even funny. Im going to see It this Friday, (opening night,) for sure. Ive done my best to not read up too much on It because I want to be surprised but I hope they stick as much to the book as possible.
Katt Dee
Katt Dee

Back to top Go down

Post by recitador Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:08 am

Ka of 17 wrote:I am so excited. IT was my 1st King novel...I was 10. Then I watched the miniseries and it took me a long time to be comfortable being alone in bathrooms. I think the trailers look amazing, and I can't wait to see what's they bring to the screen.

they've already fully committed to the adult movie. they're currently mostly focused on the kids movie, i'm sure we'll get announcements after this one has time to make it's mark

recitador

Back to top Go down

Post by recitador Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:10 am

Katrina wrote:I cannot wait for the remake! I recently rewatched the miniseries, and though I still love it, I don't think it has held up throughout the years. I'm really looking forward to a fresh take on what is one of King's best novels! I'm just wondering how much they'll be able to fit in the movie. The book is huge; there are so many little things that even the lengthy miniseries couldn't fit in, I'm really hoping that the movie tried to incorporate as much of the novel as possible. I don't imagine they'll keep the kid orgy in, but that might be one scene that is better left in print anyway!

it has been stated in no uncertain terms that this scene won't be in the movie. honestly, no one should have expected it to be, so i'm puzzled by all the hubub about the possibility. to answer the OP, i'm super excited for this. everything i see ratchets up the anticipation.

recitador

Back to top Go down

Post by Ka of 17 Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:12 am

I absolutely loved IT. The casting for the Losers Club was spot on, and their friendship made for unexpected hilarity and power throughout the film. I really think they captured the heart of the novel right there. It was interesting to see the child cycle uninterrupted, and I didn't find myself missing the interplay between the child and adult stories.

I thought IT was honestly scary, and genuinely liked the new take on the Pennywise persona. I also enjoyed that there were relatively few jump scares, but that the atmosphere of Derry grew increasingly vicious and terrorizing. The representations of the various forms of IT were cool too- the leper was never something that scared me in the novel, but seeing it on screen I felt for Eddie! I also liked the reimagining of Stan's fear too. I had reservations about the shift in time, as I always thought part the horror of the child cycle relied on the nostalgia for the false "safe time" of the 50s, but it worked well for the most part...even allowing for some new scares (e.g. Pennywise coming out of the projector rather than the photo album).

There were changes from the book that didn't make sense to me...it really seemed like they were pushing to give the kids reasons to hunt/fight IT other than just protecting themselves and the kids of Derry. There were other changes (Ben as historian rather than Mike, Mike's parents, etc.) that didn't make semse to me, but I didn't feel like they detracted from the heart of the story in any way. Any issues I have with those changes is really just me being a nitpicky super fan of the book. I highly recommend IT!
Ka of 17
Ka of 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Shellzbellz Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:47 pm

We loved it as well!! Even my partner, who has literally never enjoyed a single horror show said he liked it and looks forward to part 2! The Losers Club was brilliantly cast, like said above, they all were so perfect and I was SO happy with Pennywise! My son and I were on the edge of our seats even though Stephen King us a staple at out dinner table! I plan on seeing it a second time just because Pennywise makes me so happy!

Shellzbellz

Back to top Go down

Stephen King's "IT" remake Empty remake of "It" thoughts

Post by April Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:15 am

I loved the remake. I thought is was awesome. My poor husband's arm was pretty sore by the time we left from me grabbing and scratching his arm. I like the few scares the movie had because they were genuine scares and not build ups. I don't mind a scene that sets you up to be scared but it's always better when you think you are going to be scared at this time time when this happens but then the scare comes out of now where. It is the heart of why I love all things scary with movies. I think it was a closer adaptation of the book which I also loved!! I love the friendship but I wish it would have played a little more on the back story of the children both the main characters and the bullies but I do like how the more horrible stories were hinted at but not shown, we got the jist of it, for example, Bev's story with her father, hinted at but saw nothing. I also love it in the since that I don't feel that Tim Curry's role should be compared to Bill Skarsgard's role. I thought both performances were very good and both brought different spunk to Pennywise.

April

Back to top Go down

Post by Katt Dee Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:20 am

I am so glad you liked it. I loved it so much as well. The only thing I did not like was that fact in the theater we went to, there were 20 teenagers that felt it was necessary to talk for every second of the movie, and some parents who brought what look to be an 8 year old that could not stop screaming at the top of her lungs, fallowed by lots of tears.
Katt Dee
Katt Dee

Back to top Go down

Post by Surtr Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:08 pm

I haven't read the book but saw the original as a kid and really liked it. I enjoyed this one too, when the girl behind me wasn't kicking my chair or resting her boots on my headrest ... That and the usual talkers discussing the Wikipedia plot synopsis during the film.

The casting is great.

Not to take anything away from the film, but personally I think the scene in the beginning where It's eyes open in the dark of the sewer would have been much creepier without blasting the "scare chords" to jump scare the audience. Actually, I thought the same about several scenes. I do get it though. But an alternate audio track on the Blu-ray might be interesting, hah. /=

That aside, I've subscribed for my first box! I first heard about The Nocturnal Reader's Box a few days ago but was disappointed to find that it was sold out (good news for TNRB though!) but managed to subscribe yesterday after some cancellations. Can't wait!

Being in South Africa I imagine I'll receive mine quite a bit later than everyone else, so I'll have to avoid spoilers! But I think I've gotten enough practise this year during S7 of GoT ...

Surtr

Back to top Go down

Post by Katt Dee Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:22 pm

The original mini series (movie) was so far removed from the book in my opinion. Even the new one, (they did a much much better job), but the book is so detailed it suppose its impossible. The vulgarity in the new movie definitely echoed more true. The scene with georgia, the old lady neighbor and his arm, was like directly from the book. One cool thing they did do, was in the book they talk about a turtle. Now this turtle spoke with the children almost in the inbetween of what was real and what was not. Yes a giant turtle. Now while they did not put the turtle into the movie, they did have a few turtle references. When the kids were swimming in the pond/creek and they sream "look i found something, its a turtle." and also the leggos that bill took for Georgies room after he died, was in the shape of a turtle. Coincidence. i think not.
Katt Dee
Katt Dee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down