Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Behind the Box---September!

+10
idnar
bone1411
Ka of 17
Elliebathory
salingercrumbs
Linda
krystalvezina
Oux
Everything's Eventual
Admin
14 posters

Go down

Behind the Box---September! Empty Behind the Box---September!

Post by Admin Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:19 am

So I want to start off by saying that September's Monster Mayhem box was one that we were looking forward to for a while, the only issue was finding the books to fit the theme (which is why the themes hold us back).

Lets start with The Wicked. ---So this book came out a while ago, it wasn't a huge release but it garnered some great reviews. When I found out that it was being re-released by James Newman newly edited, and rewritten with parts added we had to get on it. There's no way we weren't going to use it once we got our hands on it! Those creepy monsters/demon spawn..Plus James has a bunch of books you should read if you like it. The wicked was the perfect amount of creepy, gross, evil, yet still 80s campy horror that we LOVE!

Greener Pastures was a book we had our eye on using for a while but we don't want to bombard you with too many short story collections. We absolutely love them, but we understand some people don't. There's such a great mix of creepy and unsettling stories that we were itching to get it out there, but held back. Well, Nick Cutter, one of our favorite authors, tweeted out that everyone should pick it up two weeks after we decided to finally use it for the box. I'd say it worked out. Try taking it to work or a public place like a train station or a commuter bus, read a story, get super creeped out... Get chills, then realize you audible made a cringy noise..yeah its happened. The looks you get haha.

The tote bag--- So we never got this question as much as we did this month. Who designs the stuff not listed on the card? We do! Jessica created the Frankenstein's Monster Tote and we had our new manufacturer Brand it for us. Do you guys, who have been with us for a little while, like the thick tote from Sept. Or the cotton totes of past boxes?

The water bottle--So, this happens from time to time, you get an idea late in the process and decide to add it, the risk in this is that it doesn't show up on time, OR the quality is not what you ordered. I (Vincent) designed the water bottle for Miskatonic University and initially it was going to go on this flip top plastic doohickey, but then we decided...wouldn't it be rad to get one of those double walled metal things that stay cold? I bet we can find someone to make us some...oh they did, but they showed up single walled Sad you live and you learn, sorry about your dinged up water bottles. We still lo e it though, I hate cold water so mine stay perfectly room temperature and its light enough to just carry around everywhere. And the perfect size for a commute to and from work...

The Sandmans Despair---So, the lovely ladies at Natura Amantis reached out and this was the product that spoke to me so much. Being a monster box, I knew I wanted to theme it around E.T.A. Hoffmann's The Sandman (Which if you haven't read, holy shit it gets crazy). Anyways, I love essential oils, and being a nocturnal reader I stay up WAYYYY too late. So I often need a little coaxing before my mind fully rests. This stuff works! We tried it and OMG I was snoring, drooling, all that stuff and I dreamt about some crazy stuff (which is my jam). Try it out, its relaxing, smells amazing for any sex, calms the nerves, and is a miracle worker to sleep. These ladies sold us, and became one of our favorite vendors and we brought them back to make another item for the anniversary box, not in the same vein, but just as high quality!

The Notebook---we love these notebooks and assume, by the comments we get when we've included them in the past, that you do too. I am a list maker. The warmth I feel when I check something off a list of "to-do" items makes me so happy. We also like to plan items and upcoming reads as we get so many ARCs (boohoo right?) So whenever we do these we casually order a bunch extra for us! (Also the bath bombs) lol. The Howling was a book that I read a few years ago, while sitting in the desert in California guarding a bunch of bombs. I was in the Marines for a while out there and that was my job. So at night, occasionally the coyotes would get rowdy and go on these spells of howling and making spoopy cackling noises. Naturally one of my buddies said hey I'm going to bring you this book to read, and I said sweet, I've seen the movie, it was pretty good, but I don't ever say no to a book if the movie was mildly interesting. Long story short, it scared the shit out of me and I finished during the day haha. The book cover was too dark to use and the poster for the film was pretty rad, so we went with that.

Jekyll and Hyde pin-- Jessica created this pin, like most others. We couldn't not use the monstrous Mr Hyde once we decided the theme. We think they turned out pretty swell.

The Night King of Pop--- so I asked Jessica to draw one thing. "I want a Night King bookmark" and this is what I get. I swear, can't take her anywhere to do anything! Haha, but seriously once she sent me the finished file, I was like, "The Night King of Pop" she said oh yeah I just used them for the mashup because they are both zombies. haha Either way I think our first magnetic bookmark was a success lol.

The Great Old One--- So Cthulhu was always going to be a main focus as was variations of the Universal Monsters. We were cruising around behance as we do, and I saw this peice of art that just screamed that it needed to be used in horror. Ivan was so professional and receptive that we absolutely love having him as part of the box. The red variant was a 'Gilcee' print and was like $12k to get them all like that...no doable. BUT the metallic finish was so brilliant we had to get some out there. If you got one and don't want it, give it to a Cthulhu fan! Ivan will also be back to do the art for our one year box. Its a little piece of a bigger project we are working on for us personally, but its a graphic representation of our Logo!

That's it everyone! It was such a blast making this months box and October is such a special month for us as well with Halloween and our one-year boxiversary. Its going to be HUGE. Thanks for reading.

Q. What was your favorite item in the box?

Q. What would you have like to see in this box?
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://thenocturnalreadersbox.com

Back to top Go down

Behind the Box---September! Empty Re: Behind the Box---September!

Post by Everything's Eventual Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:47 am

My favourite Item... would have to be the dream oil. I was so disappointed that the shop does not ship to Australia. Im on night shift at the moment and I swear it has helped me sleep more restfully, i normally wake up feeling hungover, dehydrated and unrested but the past 4 days ive been completely the opposite and I canonly put it down to the oil!!!

I love magnetic bookmarks. But not for my books.. for my fridge haha.

I havent read The Howling but you can never have too many notebooks. You guys are bad for my bank account purely because of your recommendations and I want read all the books that inspire some sweet as products. I have never had to find as much self control as I have needed since finding you guys.. I didnt get a box with Ania Ahlborn and I just purchased one of her books so shes next on my list.

I havent started the books from sept yet as I had to wait for John Dies at the End before Starting This book has Spiders. I hate starting mid series. Even if it can be a stand alone.

I also looove the cover of Greener Pastures! Both books sound like they are going to be good!

Also. I dont know what I would have liked to see in the box.
Im not good at decisions. If I worked for you guys. You would never have boxes out on time.

Keen to see what a Themeless Box will bring!

Everything's Eventual

Back to top Go down

Post by Oux Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:34 am

I loved everything in the box (the water bottle is my new favorite thing) but the oil. If you enjoy essential oils okay, but it is very shoehorned into the box. It's just not an item with any connection to literature or the genre's of horror/scifi/fantasy. I'd be very disappointed in the box if we started getting "Poe aromatherapy candles" or "Stephen King healing quartz" in the future.
Oux
Oux

Back to top Go down

Post by krystalvezina Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:20 am

My favorite items were the water bottle, tote, and magnetic bookmark. So neat that you designed them yourselves!

I'd never heard of The Sandman before receiving that oil, and looked it up on Serial Reader because I was curious what the inspiration for that item was. Haven't actually tried the oil yet, but I'm enjoying the story Smile
krystalvezina
krystalvezina

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:26 am

Apart from the books, my favourite thing was the water bottle.
I am a new subscriber, so I can't compare, but I really love the thickness of the tote. The straps are super comfy!

Linda

Back to top Go down

Post by salingercrumbs Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:45 am

Greener Pastures is superb! Every story leaves me a little disturbed and needing to process what I just read...love it. And the water bottle is awesome.
salingercrumbs
salingercrumbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Elliebathory Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:16 pm

I love the tote in this box. Frankenstien is one of my favorite books and the thicker material lets me use it regularly because I'm not afraid of tearing it. I'm not sure i can pick a favorite item, this box was my absolute favorite so far but I can't pinpoint why exactly.

Elliebathory

Back to top Go down

Post by Ka of 17 Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Greener Pastures was an interesting read. Some of the stories were amazing, but others felt disjointed and unfinished.

Love the notebook and the bookmark...probably my favorite items. The sleep oil is nice, and I like the difference in items and getting something original. I would love to see book covers in a box!
Ka of 17
Ka of 17

Back to top Go down

Post by bone1411 Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:00 pm

I am a new subscriber and this was the first box i received. I can say its true what i heard and read about this, its absolutely amazing what you two build here.

My Fav item of the box is the art print. I am a huge Chutulhu Fan and i love it so much. (As i love the bottle, but the print, its pure ecstasy Very Happy ) I wonder how cool the metal finished piece would have looked like <.< anyway, it will get framed soon.
Also the Oil from Natura Amantis. First thought was "mhh okay", but i like the smell and the herbs and so i thought giving it a chance. Its not disappointing, it really helps me finding some sleep as i suffer from being nervous almost any time due to a mild anxiety disorder.

Also the other items are totally cool, the "Nightking of Pop" is hilarious, i laughed so hard when i saw it. Great Work! And the Pin, as if someone knew i bought the "Jekyll & Hyde" Book just a week before the box arrived!

Last but not least, the Books. I haven`t read "Greener Pastures" now but i finished "The Wicked" just moments ago.
I have to say, i really thank you for picking this book. As a big Fan of the Books by Graham Masterton and Clive Barker, i sank into this scary, not too serious and weird story. Ok, after the beginning of the book it goes on a bit slow, but as it goes on it gets better and better till you reach the point where it becomes a page turner you cant close before its over. At least for me, that is.
bone1411
bone1411

Back to top Go down

Post by idnar Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Awesome box this month! I never knew that you make some of the designs-- so cool! My favorite items were the water bottle (I LOVE getting drinkware, haha) and the tote bag! I liked the more heavy duty feel of this tote, but I am nervous about the image peeling off. 

Also got a good chuckle when I saw the bookmark lol. 

Thanks again for all you do! Can't wait to read the books and I'm super excited for next month!  Smile

idnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhaenan Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:54 am

I loved this box! My favorite items were definitely the Sandman oil and the canvas tote bag. The oil was a fun, unexpected, and creative tie into a horror novel. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you include from this company, and will be checking to see if they sell more Sandman's Despair in their shop. The canvas tote is great because I'm always so afraid of tearing the lighter cotton ones, especially since I tend to overfill bags.

Rhaenan

Back to top Go down

Post by Noelle_Reads Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:37 am

Loved, loved this box!   I have to say I laughed probably for a full minute when I saw the White Walker of Pop magnetic bookmark, so hands down that has to be my favorite item of the box.  The pin immediately went onto my computer bag with the others (I am amassing a nice collection now, so thank you) and the water bottle is adorning my kitchen windowsill at the moment (it's just so sparkly).  The bag is great, I know it will get a ton of use when I get it into the grocery rotation.  The notebook is also now in my computer bag and has come in handy when I need to jot things down (yay!).  All of the prints you guys send have been awesome, I'm storing them in one of the shipment boxes until a later date for now because I don't have any display space to hang them.  Hopefully when we move in a few years and I get my library I can do something really great with them and show them the love they deserve.

I finished both of the books (the box came just in time, my tbr pile had dwindled to nothing).  Greener Pastures had some stories I loved and others that were just kind of ok or wtf?  The Wicked was really great, that was a book that I truly couldn't put down!

The only item I won't really get much use out of is the Sandman's Despair oil.  It's a wonderful idea and I tried so hard to love it, but lavender makes me sick to my stomach and it's just too prevalent.  I'm keeping it on my perfume tray because the bottle is very cool, though.
Noelle_Reads
Noelle_Reads

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrissyJ99 Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:09 pm

First -- Definitely stick with the thicker totes. Much more substantial and they hold up better than thin cotton. Especially for folks (like me) actually toting around a book and a planner on the weekends.

My favorite items were the books -- planning to read both of them in October for Halloween month. But I also LOVE the magnetic bookmark and the tote. I actually use the bookmark in my planner so I get to see him and chuckle at him every day in my office. He keeps my place. :-)

The only items I didn't love (but to be clear, I don't dislike them either) -- the water bottle (I just don't see me carrying that around even if I should drink more water, LOL) and the art print. Although the print is amazing quality, to date, I haven't been a Cthulu person (maybe that will change if I read HP Lovecraft at some point) but for now I don't see me displaying it. If I ever come across a friend who is a fan, I will gift it. For now, I'll keep it stored away in good condition.

Something I would have liked to see, nothing really, I try not to have expectations and just enjoy what comes -- but, I think I was expecting more traditional monsters maybe? There was Frankenstein and the Dr. But I was surprised at no Dracula etc.

ChrissyJ99

Back to top Go down

Post by Nasum36 Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:45 am

This was my first box from you guys and I love everything in it. One of my favorites is the Tote. I use it everyday to and from work. It's perfect and of coarse I placed my pin on there as well. I was lucky to recieve a signed copy of Wicked. The artwork is all ready framed and hanging by my bedside. The oil is very relaxing. You guys did awesome. I can't wait to see what comes for October.

Nasum36

Back to top Go down

Post by Noelle_Reads Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Okay - I have to eat my words about the Sandman's Despair oil. I'm still not crazy about the smell, but I've been having a hell of a time getting to sleep lately because of migraine pain and the stiff neck/jaw that comes with it. Wow, this stuff truly does help! And the bonus? Apparently it helps with my husband's snoring!!! Holy crap Exclamation
Noelle_Reads
Noelle_Reads

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down