Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books

+13
abookishwolf
ladytieryn
mamalovestoread
Noelle_Reads
Suspiria
painperdu
Jhaos.Rising
TroyTheWriter
salingercrumbs
focusfast
FeliFirefly
Everything's Eventual
Admin
17 posters

Go down

NRB Sci-Fi---- Its difficult to include sci-fi and fantasy in the box because we have ammassed a giant horror following. Should we just stop trying and create a seperate box for them instead?

September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books I_vote_lcap21%September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 5 ]
September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books I_vote_lcap38%September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books I_vote_rcap 38% 
[ 9 ]
September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books I_vote_lcap29%September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 7 ]
September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books I_vote_lcap12%September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 24

September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books Empty September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books

Post by Admin Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:12 pm

So to those that read the books when they come in each month like machines, are you ready to add three more books from the October box?

The Wicked, as we mention in the "behind the box" post was one of those titles that was re-released after being overhauled. To us, it definitely had a vintage 80's horror vibe going on, and a buch of weird gross descriptive terms in it like Nick Cutter. Both attributes are amazing in our books, so this was a home run for both of us. The way that we pick books is actually pretty interesting and I feel like we have been pretty good picking them out for you.

There has been maybe one of two books out of the 27 total that have been "meh" for most. I'm not going to say which ones, but they were a bit earlier in the year. What we do is organize the TBR pile by release date then look at the ones that we feel are most interesting and read them. If its one that we feel like the masses will like, then we get a second opinion on that read. If it passes those tests, then it moves to the keep pile.

Once we have a good 4 or 5 picked for that pile in the month, we look at the publisher, prices, and what we think it can be compared to. I think the most difficult thing to hear when we select the books is when people complain that the books are not AAA titles, or hardcovers....again, thats not really what we are looking for. Yes we work with major publishers every other month or so, but we try to find hidden gems that we can introduce you to; something that you may have not had the chance to pick up or would have initially picked up. Those are the wins for us. Its awesome to be able to pick bigger titles but those are assumed, for the most part, to have much more exposure and marketing behind them.

We personally think its more fun when we get to discover new authors. So far we have fallen in love with the writing of Nick Cutter, Ania Ahlborn, Ed Kurtz, Bracken Macleod, David Wong (doesn't count) Stephen Graham Jones, among others.

We get to add Michael Wehunt and James Newman.

Short story books are a bit different in that we shoot for a majority win in those. We try not to bombard you with them but there are so many good ones that aren't being read!!

Greener Pastures was one that was overlooked so much that we had to make sure to get it out there a bit. Michael Wehunt can write his ass off and we were excited that he agreed to sign as many as he did for us. Most of the stories are creepy, but they all have this underlying need for humanity. Its kind of hard to explain but you will feel something when you read it.

What did you all think of the titles this month? and are you excited for the 5 lb NRB coming next week? its a beast of a box!!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://thenocturnalreadersbox.com

Back to top Go down

September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books Empty Re: September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books

Post by Everything's Eventual Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:28 am

First of all the poll: I dont mind a few scifi orientated books here and there. I do know that I would not purchase a specific sci fi box. I enjoy trying different genres as the box i read are predominantly horror and none of my friends read or recommend anything good.. unless its YA. Which I hate...

The Wicked: i wasnt alive in the 80's so that doesnt mean much to me but I enjoyed the book. The "sexy" scenes suprised me and I had to reread them to make sure I read it right haha.

Greener Pastures:I love short stories so I really enjoyed this one. Some of the more reality based ones were my favourites "Devil under the Maison Blue" and "bookends". Most of the stories left me wanting more and kept me thinking..

Both books cover arts were AMAZING...

The main reason i joined NRB is to be introduced to new authors. And you havent failed in this!!. In particular featured on your facebook page was Ania Ahlborn. I ordered Brother online. It came and I devoured it. It had me at page one. Halfway through I kinda guessed the plot twist.. but that didnt stop me from going to my local bookshop and ordering all her other books from their supplier. The ones they didnt have Ive purchased online haha. You have opened me to so many great authors.. my TBR pile is massive.. Im reducing it slowly by reading a Stephen King book, then picking two authors out of a jar, reading a book of theirs based on publication date then back to King. I only interrupt this process to read my monthly NRB
And Brother. Because technically that came from you guys.

So now Ive bored everyone to death with my life story.. Ill end here saying hell yes to the next box!!!

Ps when is an appropriate time frame to start a thread about the books in a box? I dont want to spoil it for others who are waiting for theirs..

Everything's Eventual

Back to top Go down

September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books Empty Re: September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books

Post by Admin Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:38 am

Everything's Eventual wrote:First of all the poll: I dont mind a few scifi orientated books here and there. I do know that I would not purchase a specific sci fi box. I enjoy trying different genres as the box i read are predominantly horror and none of my friends read or recommend anything good.. unless its YA. Which I hate...

The Wicked: i wasnt alive in the 80's so that doesnt mean much to me but I enjoyed the book. The "sexy" scenes suprised me and I had to reread them to make sure I read it right haha.

Greener Pastures:I love short stories so I really enjoyed this one. Some of the more reality based ones were my favourites "Devil under the Maison Blue" and "bookends". Most of the stories left me wanting more and kept me thinking..

Both books cover arts were AMAZING...

The main reason i joined NRB is to be introduced to new authors. And you havent failed in this!!. In particular featured on your facebook page was Ania Ahlborn. I ordered Brother online. It came and I devoured it. It had me at page one. Halfway through I kinda guessed the plot twist.. but that didnt stop me from going to my local bookshop and ordering all her other books from their supplier. The ones they didnt have Ive purchased online haha. You have opened me to so many great authors.. my TBR pile is massive.. Im reducing it slowly by reading a Stephen King book, then picking two authors out of a jar, reading a book of theirs based on publication date then back to King. I only interrupt this process to read my monthly NRB
And Brother. Because technically that came from you guys.

So now Ive bored everyone to death with my life story.. Ill end here saying hell yes to the next box!!!

Ps when is an appropriate time frame to start a thread about the books in a box? I dont want to spoil it for others who are waiting for theirs..

I think its appropriate as long as the thread is labeled as a Spoiler. Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://thenocturnalreadersbox.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FeliFirefly Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:33 am

Everything's Eventual wrote:my TBR pile is massive.. Im reducing it slowly by reading a Stephen King book, then picking two authors out of a jar, reading a book of theirs based on publication date then back to King. I only interrupt this process to read my monthly NRB

This is a great idea! I am doing it quite similar: reading a King book, reading something from my TBR list, King book again and the NRB titles in between. But I guess I will try the 'pick from a jar thing', too  Smile

The poll: Well, this is difficult... and it is not  Laughing
The difficult part is: I am not sure if I like si-fy. I've only read very few sf books and those I liked, but I choose those carefully and I know there are many books, I would like so much. BUT I like it when you pick such books and I am introduced to great authors or titles I wouldn't have picked myself. You two are making such great choices with the books you put in your box and after a few months of subscription I dare to say I trust you completely  I love you

The not so difficult part: I wouldn't subscribe to a sf/fantasy box. NOT because I wouldn't like to read what you may choose there (and btw I am really into fantasy books, but this is such a huuugggeee genre.. uff), but another book subscription would definitely not fit into both my monthly budget and my reading list. I get to understand that this book-box thing has really a market in the USA... however, it is not so common in the EU and I honestly don't know anyone in person who knows of such a thing over here (and I have a lot of reading-friends and they all think I am crazy to 'buy books without knowing what is coming'). So maybe it's just me here, but another box wouldn't be doable for me. However, I would love you to add a fantasy or sifi title in every other box or so  Wink

FeliFirefly

Back to top Go down

Post by focusfast Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:35 am

RE: the poll

It's tricky, I do love some good sci-fi, but I'm also really enjoying having a good horror connection. I don't think I'd like a sci-fi in every box, maybe every other box? Also maybe instead of creating a separate box ( I just can't subscribe to two, the budget won't allow!), create sci-fi boxes a few times a year so that people can decide to opt out if they don't want sci-fi. Or if not an entire sci-fi box a box that is more geared toward that genre.

Personally I trust you guys and your selection process, the books are always interesting, and I love finding out about new authors. But I'm also very okay if this stays a horror only thing  Twisted Evil
focusfast
focusfast

Back to top Go down

Post by salingercrumbs Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:57 am

I would enjoy a sci-fi book every so often; I may even subscribe to a sci-fi/fantasy box as well,  if it was the same quality as this one!  

As for this month's titles:
I would give maybe 2/5 stars for The Wicked; the writing was mediocre and the characters were so poorly written, I could barely get through it.  The story itself is the only thing that saved the book: I wasn't at all scared, but I sort of wanted to see what happened so I kept going.  

All that being said, Greener Pastures more than made up for the way I felt about the other book.  It was phenomenal!  The writing was beautiful, and the stories were both creepy, sad, and lovely at the same time, if that's even possible.  I really enjoyed this one and will be reading it again.  I would love to see more from Michael Wehunt.  

I am very excited about the October box.  I love this subscription.  You guys have introduced me to some great authors and I'm reading more books right now than I have in a long time...it's great!
salingercrumbs
salingercrumbs

Back to top Go down

Post by TroyTheWriter Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:58 am

I love that there's a little sci-fi involved, and honestly, I just wouldn't have the money for two boxes. I love how it is now! I as long as it's a little spooky/creepy, I don't mind sci-fi at all! As far as the authors, both are great guys! I've actually interacted with both via Facebook and they've provided some great writing advice to me as well!

TroyTheWriter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhaos.Rising Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 pm

Please.please. No sci-fi/fantasy in Nocturnal Reader's box. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I hate sci-fi and fantasy. Especially fantasy. I'm sorry, in advance, because, in my experience, most people who read horror also read sci-fi and fantasy. I don't care what other people read, if you read it, I'm glad you're reading and enjoying it! I read a lot of genres most people don't care for, like classic lit and poetry, books most people only read when required. That's ok, at least we're all reading ♥️♥️. But I subscribe because this is a horror subscription box. Sci-Fi from time to time, I won't freak out, but I doubt I will read it. If there was sci-fi or, and especially, fantasy in every box I would (broken-heartedly) cancel my subscription, because, really, I subscribe for the books. And I love Nocturnal Readers box, so I would probably cry for days.

Jhaos.Rising

Back to top Go down

Post by painperdu Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm still suuuuper behind on my reading (NRB and otherwise), so I have to reserve judgment on September's offerings, though I am particularly excited for Greener Pastures based solely on the cover and back summary. Hoping to do some major catching up this month for the Halloween season.

And I'm probably echoing what it seems a lot of others have said so far regarding the inclusion of sci-fi and/or fantasy in upcoming boxes. I can see the argument for not including them overly much in a horror-themed box. But I am also a big fan of both genres, and there are probably many books that would be appropriately considered horror and sci-fi-or-fantasy, so I think it could certainly work to include them occasionally, especially if they also contain elements of horror.

As much as I'd love a separate box for sci-fi or fantasy, I'd also probably just not have the budget for it at the moment. Though I'd definitely want in, if I had the extra $$$, because I bet it would be excellent! So, I'm of the "yes to occasional sci-fi fantasy included in NRB" camp.

painperdu

Back to top Go down

September Box---The Wicked and Greener Pastures---And how we pick the books Empty Ehhh

Post by Suspiria Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:14 pm

I would be okay with very minimal scifi inclusions. I only usually love the scifi that is very dark, and horror fantasy is a hit or miss. I would much prefer horror and the occasional horror mixed with scifi. Just my opinion!

Suspiria

Back to top Go down

Post by Noelle_Reads Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:48 pm

I am a fan of sci-fi-fi and fantasy, but I will also echo what others have said here, I don't think I would seek out another subscription box just for that. I have been a subscriber since the King box and have liked everything submitted thus far. Not every short story in Greener Pastures grabbed me, but when I finished I was happy to have read it. I've certainly added authors to my pile - Cutter, Ahlborn, Vandermeer and David Wong to name a few and am looking forward to what/who else will join the mix.
Noelle_Reads
Noelle_Reads

Back to top Go down

Post by mamalovestoread Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:24 pm

I love the books you guys choose! Format is irrelevant to me if it's a good read. While I like sci-fi, I think what gives this box the edge is it's pure horror focus. Very few other boxes do this and do it amazingly like you guys! Pure horror for me please

mamalovestoread

Back to top Go down

Post by ladytieryn Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:19 am

I would love having sci-fi thrown in every once in a while. Love getting to try new authors that I would never have seen if it wasn't for your box.

ladytieryn

Back to top Go down

Post by abookishwolf Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:24 am

I would love it if you had a separate sci-fi/fantasy box. Fantasy is my main genre, and I have yet to find a box that caters to non-young adult fantasy releases. Plus I want to read more sci-fi.

abookishwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by idnar Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:05 am

I can't say anything about The Wicked yet, but I'm currently reading Greener Pastures (I'm slow, I know lol)! Really enjoying it so far! Lovin' the writing style.

As far as sci-fi in the book boxes:
I don't want to be a hardcore naysayer, but this makes me nervous lol. I'm willing to try it out, provided we don't get books that are that super super technical kind of sci-fi.
My biggest concern with this proposed genre addition is losing the horror theme of the box-- this is why I subscribed in the first place (obviously lol). Maybe we can find some middle ground? Like, possibly the occasional sci-fi book that still has horror/thriller attributes to the work. I could dig that. Smile

idnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ellbee Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:17 pm

I liked both titles this month, but I don’t usually like short stories. But the cover art on that book was awesome and I am liking the stories, though some of them I just don’t “get”. I haven’t started The Wicked yet but I’m about to. I had to finish The Howling first. I hate sci fi so please don’t do that to me. I love your box so much the way it is. I like mysteries and psychological thrillers and horror but sci fi is just a category all on its own and barf. I couldn’t get through Normal and it’s one of the few, very few, books that I have ever not finished. Not that I’m sure that qualifies as sci fi, but to me it sort of did.

Ellbee

Back to top Go down

Post by Oux Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:59 pm

I am torn, because I love the horror books and it SO hard to find or get a gripe on what horror is good.  Since King is always the best seller and top rated it is tough to gauge what other authors are actually good when sorting through book sites especially since I don't care for King, going 5 pages deep to find something by someone else is always a hassle so I love that this box sends me new horror stuff and that it is curated by people that actually like their own product.

Having said that, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy towel is probably my favorite thing I have gotten.  

So, maybe compromise: Horror or Scifi/Fantasy Horror  books only but the non book items can be from any of the 3 genres.
Oux
Oux

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmo4223 Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Truth: sci-fi is my bag. I like fantasy, and I like horror, but I love good sci-fi. If you guys did a separate sci-fi box I'd probably switch (and I also love the Hitchhiker's towel.) Whatever you decide to do I'll definitely be ordering!

gizmo4223

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down