Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kootnz Series: Odd Thomas and Frankenstein

5 posters

Go down

Kootnz Series: Odd Thomas and Frankenstein Empty Kootnz Series: Odd Thomas and Frankenstein

Post by Sugar827 Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:23 am

While engaging in the ice breaker I was reminded of these two awesome series by Dean Kootnz and wondered what others thought of them. I loved both: Odd Thomas was quirky and a different direction and I loved his take on Frankenstein. Thoughts?

Sugar827

Back to top Go down

Kootnz Series: Odd Thomas and Frankenstein Empty Re: Kootnz Series: Odd Thomas and Frankenstein

Post by jessguerrero89 Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:01 pm

I read the Frankenstein series years ago. All of them, all in a row. And I remember enjoying them, but honestly that's all I remember. They didn't make much of an impact on me, I guess. I will say, from what I've read from Koontz (which isn't all that much, tbh) I don't really like the way he tries to use idioms and phrases for a younger audience and then proceeds to over explain them for an older audience. It's just a little redundant and gets annoying.
jessguerrero89
jessguerrero89

Back to top Go down

Kootnz Series: Odd Thomas and Frankenstein Empty Re: Kootnz Series: Odd Thomas and Frankenstein

Post by Noelle_Reads Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Odd Thomas DESTROYED me when it came out. I remember getting an ARC when the first book came out (yay for working at a bookstore and having an awesome boss at the time) and taking it on my vacation. I was bawling my eyes out at the end of it. The next few were also pretty damn heartbreaking as well but then the series just got tedious for me, as have a lot of his books. I really haven't read any of his later stuff because it's all become very similar and repetitive. I know I read the Frankenstein books, but you hit it on the head when you said it didn't stick with you. I remember liking them when I read them. I can't remember a single thing about them though.
Noelle_Reads
Noelle_Reads

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar827 Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:10 pm

I liked both series and remember them pretty well but I have not read all of the Odd Thomas series. Koontz is a favorite of mine and I tend to like his later work but have many favorites among his earlier work such Seize the Night, Fear Nothing, Strangers, and Phantoms. I loved From the Corner of his Eye which kind of led into the now era for me. He has an amazingly extensive body of work.

Sugar827

Back to top Go down

Kootnz Series: Odd Thomas and Frankenstein Empty Loved Odd Thomas until the last book

Post by stevencvgarcia Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:07 am

I absolutely loved the first book and the film adaptation. Odd was a great character. Reminded me of Holden Caulfield (from my favorite book of all time), so that kind of character in a fantasy/horror setting fascinated me.
I've heard people complain about Odd as too arrogant and high on himself, like he's always humble-bragging, which I can see where they're coming from, but I respectfully disagree. I think he's genuine in his self-effacement and people don't believe a person can actually be like that, but I empathized with Odd complete.
Ad the series went on, I still liked the character, but I didn't like where the story went. I didn't mind the episodic nature of the series, but when Koontz tried to tie everything back in I thought it felt rather forced. And the ending made no sense to me.

*SPOILER*
How did Odd write about the afterlife and send it to his friend to write!? I didn't understand that at all. So all in all a good series, but as a complete story I thought it had some significant flaws. Still a great character though til the end.

stevencvgarcia

Back to top Go down

Post by SebzMonster Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:29 am

I love Dean Koontz and think this is a great discussion! Thank you for starting this thread! Very Happy  I actually just got done reading through the comic books of Odd which I thought were great and fun. I haven't yet read the series just yet but did see the film which my husband and I both liked. I read the entire Frankenstein series several years ago and recall that I loved his ideas in the series but I do agree with previous statements that it's hard to recall a lot from them. I do remember, however, that I was thoroughly disappointed in the last book. If I remember correctly I felt like the ending was pretty "blah" & felt a bit rushed. I would have to go back and reread the series though to really remember fully previous thoughts and opinions about them as well as what happened in them.

SebzMonster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down